It’s time for another Paleo Challenge. This one begins this Saturday, 17 Nov and will take us through the Holidays to Monday, 31 Dec. This one will be the toughest yet. 45 days of eating Paleo, sleeping well and getting your WODs in to really make huge gains in reconfiguring body composition and increasing your performance level. More importantly you will be building a good foundation for a very healthy lifestyle.
Eat Meat, Veggies, Nuts, Seeds and some Fruit. Simple enough. No grains, no legumes, no diary, no processed foods, no starchy foods. By eating “clean” you eliminate processed foods (sugar) that can illicit a high insulin response and also foods (grains, legumes, diary) that can cause a high antibody response which in turn increases the likelihood of an autoimmune response which can lead to any autoimmune disease like Celiac Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Scleroses, and other degenerative diseases such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, depression and infertility.
The seven keys of the Paleo diet according to Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
1) Eat a relatively high amount of animal protein compared to that in the typical American diet.
2) Eat fewer carbohydrates than most modern diets recommend, but eat lots of good carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables, not from grains or refined sugars.
3) Eat a large amount of fiber from nonstarchy fruits and vegetables.
4) Eat a moderate amount of fat, with more good (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) fats than bad (saturated) fats, and nearly equal amounts of omega 3 and omega 6 fats.
5) Eat foods with a high potassium content and low sodium content.
6) Eat a diet with a net alkaline load.
7) Eat foods rich in plant phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
The seven keys optimize health, minimize the risk of chronic disease, and cause excess weight to melt away. This is the way we’re genetically programmed to eat.
I will periodically post food guides and recipes to help you get through the challenge. Good Luck!!!